There is a native american saying: "no tree has branches foolish enough to fight among themselves". I see the deep wisdom in this, yet sometimes find myself like a frantic, branch-gnashing tree in a high wind. My branches don't really fight, but they sure bang against each other!
So, I consider this: what does one do when two different parts of life/self/experience/dogma/whatever start banging against each-other?
I've worked on this a little (aaargh!). I have negotiated, tried to choose and threatened hari kiri in order to reconcile different aspects of my life and live in peace, love, light, bliss and happily-ever-after. This has proved delightfully entertaining, but, as yet, has yielded unsustainable results! I still find myself with my nose pressed against different realities that I love, unable to move forward or backwards?!? Simultaneously schizoid...
Anyway, I found an answer (pregnant pause). Yup folks, this is it! I'm gonna transcend polarity and just be everything.
I reckon that if Mama Earth can be all things at the same time, why not me? She has no confusion about being summer on top and winter at the bottom. She can rage like a tornado and blow a balmy breeze without ever having to question her validity or reason. She'll spew oil and water, fire and ice, feast and famine and its just how it goes. Such is life. Such is me.
So here I am stronger than ever and shaking at the knees. This is my life and its rather colourful, a little dramatic and endlessly entertaining (for now, for me.) I remember my path, and its not a straight line (oh dear, you mean I'm not walking the straight and narrow?)
Instead of zooming along the timeline, I'm going to accept that I circle lazily around and make the most beautiful overlapping circles. No bringing two opposing spheres of consciousness together and then trying to negotiate the boundaries until they merge. No. I shall loop around so that circles overlap without ever banging boundaries. All the time staying centered on my spinning axis - just like Mama Earth.
Try it. Draw it. Imagine you're the dot in the middle of a circle. The circle is the boundary of your existence, it is the experience of life. Now draw a straight line to the edge. Bump. This is the part where I go "Oh dear, I must move, but I cant!" Backwards and forwards, same result.
You could go round and keep on going round in circles, or make opposite circles in the bigger one. This is fun but the bits inside the circles yearn for each other and joining them involves sacrifice and compromise! Its all stop-start, a lot of work and not entirely satisfying.
Now what if you keep moving within the boundary, but never walk the same path? You still circle but because its a moving, it becomes a pattern of overlapping circles - effortless, cohesive, sharing space, yet whole in themselves. This creates the Flower of Life - a pattern that the entire universe reflects. Everything from seeds to stars grow this way. Its a graceful dance of life, encompassing everything and yet conflicting nothing. This is better than head-banging! This is The Pattern!
Ah! I breathe a sigh of relief. I don't have to keep pushing myself through that effing boundary just to keep moving. I can spirit walk like my dear friend L, following well worn, but invisible pathways that move me through life with eternal, ancient grace.
Ho.
No comments:
Post a Comment