Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Creating brilliance

So, here I sit - fingers at the ready, poised to pour out words of wit and wonder...

This commitment to daily blogging is an interesting challenge - so much easier to say "Ive started, so I'll finish!" and be gone - with stories to tell of the hilarious day I tried to start a blog to clock up some regular discipline in being an authentic bliss dragon! You go sistah!

I'm really starting to see the lack of disciplined practice as an obstacle to my own brilliance. Please note, my brilliance, like everyone else's, is not in question here! The school psychologist told my mum that her children were like diamonds in the palm of his hand - or something like that: it might have been diamonds in her hand or even in the soles of her shoes. The point is, I thought being a diamond was all it took to shine, but I didn't realise how much work De Beers and Sterns did to get those pretty stones to catch the light! And now that I have my own two diamonds in my heart and hands, I shall be paying extra attention.

Please don't think I am being depressive or obsessive. I am feeling motivated and determined. I have lived with potential all my life. I am ready to apply it. My inner clock is saying: okay sweetheart, you are well-aged - lets up the ante a little.

Malcom Gladwell always makes me think. I am reading about Outliers like Bill Gates and the Beatles, the Successes of Absolute Note in our recent history. Their real difference is that they got an opportunity to practice their craft intensely, at a young age, and took it. This means that when their break came, they were already expert and this is the big difference between the famous extra-specials and the unfamous ones.

I realise that schooling lacks opportunity for specialisation, but then I realise that schooling would never have specialised in what I would have wanted to do with my life anyway. So, I consider this: what have I spent 10 000 hours doing - what am I expert at? Obviously C has a few comments in this regard, but I shall leave those lascivious thoughts to him and proceed with my own serious contemplations.

I see that where I have applied disciplined practice in my life, is in my belief in principle, joy and authenticity. I wish someone had told me: choose a specialisation that pays! haha.

I committed to shamanic practice at 28, that means I have done at least 10 000 hours in the field. I have also written for ages - journals rather than best sellers! I have mothered and loved, read and journeyed. I have been passionate about people, life and truth. I have talked way double the required time and thought even more... you see where I am going with this? Exactly.

And now I'm certainly not going to do 10 000 hours of winging and worrying about what I should have done with my life in order to be rich and successful. I have chosen easily more than 10 000 times not to compromise on all the things that I love and really want to spend hours doing! Perhaps this means that I have specialised in doing what I really want? Am I just waiting for the "Big Break"?

Oh it gets too complex. But here I am - I have done another blog!

So, now I shall rush off to interview for some paid writing and then I shall dream all the way home, loving my mountains, my spirit and my place. And when I get back home I shall cuddle my loved ones and say thank you that I am so disciplined that I have love, happiness and beautiful people in my life!

No comments: