This morning Ginny (the chicken named after Harry Potters girlfriend, of course!) came into the bedroom to lie with the cats on the heated floor - as she does. Deciding that this was not to her liking, she hopped onto the bed, found C's head and settled down on top of it in total contentment. They are still sleeping like that now. No wonder she is on the Happy List!
Yesterday, a fire started in the trees on the hill, leapt the gravel road with quick agility and cantered across our neighbour's field.
Last time a fire was on that side, it took ten minutes to cross the stream and reach our house. The time before, I nearly got separated from the kids when I left them at a neigbour's house for safety. This time, as I felt their anxiety rise, I suggested that we just get in the car and go, if the fire got too close. I had actually made this decision already - our grass is long and our water weak - I cant stand the stressful idea of running like a mad fire-fighting hooligan again.
So, I told them that I thought the fire was unlikely to cross the stream, but asked them to think about what they would like to take with them if it did. I checked that they were okay with the idea of leaving a fire to burn, and they greatly preferred the idea to any I had previously come up with. Deciding that pro-active behaviour was better than helplessly watching the flames cross the field, I sent them inside, reminding them that we could replace most things, and just to take whatever made them happy.
The fire burned out at the stream, thank you Spirit! But my heart still swells every time I think of the pile of Happy Stuff that was waiting at the door. Here's the list:
Ginny the chicken
Ratty the rat
Two fish in a Tupperware
Emergency supplies of chicken, rat, fish and cat food
Two blankets to wrap the cats in
Both kids school reports
Both kids school bags
Their home-made comforters from B
The sheepskin
Mr Stare-alot
L's coffee mug
A's jewelery box
Animal stories book
The silver sword
L's cricket bat
Home-made wand
Two toothbrushes
Deodorant
How cute is that!?
No comments:
Post a Comment