Tuesday, November 16, 2010

watermelon

I'm gonna raise them on tigers milk and green banana
Mango and coconut and watermelon...

I remember dancing on a Thai beach long ago, sometime, whenever.

I was alone and wearing headphones (remember Walkmans?!) The moon was rising over the sea and I felt so free and full. Michelle Shocked was crooning in my ear, telling me that when she grew up she was going to be an old woman – Oh yes! Me too! Michelle was going to have loads of babies and raise them on all the wonderful goodies mentioned above.

That moment was when I first thought I might have a child. Before then, the idea seemed as alien to me as deep sea diving in sewerage. But somehow those olden-days Thai ways and Michelle Shocked combined to make me feel totally at ease and able to raise babies, wear sarongs and eat yummy food.

All my freedom moments have involved wide-open sea-scapes, warm weather and simple, casual sensuousness. I want brown children, earthy feet and a sway in my hips. I want tropical juices, cicadas and a lilting breeze.

I think I’m gonna run away to a desert island. If you look for me, I’ll be the one with watermelon juice running down my chin and a sarong worn soft and faded. My kids will be bleached blonde and my man will be happy and open.

Make sure you come and visit!

No comments: